This book presents a wealth of valuable information.All adnexal structures - the tear system, the lids and the orbit as well as neuronal and cellular components of the ocular surface itself, i.e. the cornea and conjunctiva - are involved in tear production and maintenance. If any part of this complex functional unit mutates either primary or secondary to disease, changes in tear film and ocular surface known as dry eye may occur.In this volume a panel of well-established international experts provides the theoretical foundation and describes the interaction of the ocular adnexa and surface in dry eye. Current guidelines for the diagnosis and medical management are also given. The main focus lies on surgical concepts exceeding techniques such as to block the lacrimal drainage system or lid surgery, but encompasses corneal and conjunctival as well as orbital and maxillofacial surgery where often complex transplantation procedures are involved.This volume offers a concise review on surgical treatment of the dry eye to all ophthalmologists dealing with this fairly common eye disorder.
Contents of "Surgery for the Dry Eye: Scientific Evidence and Guidelines for the Clinical Management of Dry Eye Associated Ocular Surface Disease (Developments in Ophthalmology, Vol. 41)":
- Surgery for the Dry Eye?
- The Normal Tear Film
- Functional Anatomy and Immunological Interactions of Ocular Surface and Adnexa
- Classification and Diagnosis of Dry Eye
- Medical Management of Dry Eye Disease
- Anti-Inflammatory and Immunosuppressive Concepts
- Correction of Entropion and Ectropion
- Correction of Lid Retraction and Exophthalmos
- Lacrimal Drainage Surgery in a Patient with Dry Eyes
- Surgery of the Conjunctiva
- Surgery of the Cornea: Corneal, Limbal Stem Cell and Amniotic Membrane Transplantation Keratoprosthesis Surgery
- Eyelid Botulinum Toxin Injections for the Dry Eye
- Plugs for Occlusion of the Lacrimal Drainage System
- Surgical Occlusion of the Lacrimal Drainage System
- Mucous Membrane Grafting
- Minor Salivary Gland Transplantation
- Transplantation of the Major Salivary Glands
- Mechanical Pump Dacryoreservoirs
- Clinical Trials in Dry Eye in Surgery for Dry Eye?
- Animal Models of Dry Eye
- Flow Chart on Surgical Approaches to Dry Eye
Express Your Opinions in comments